Let us be honest, it is quite a hassle to find that perfect ‘easy post workout meal’, isn’t it? Don’t let this hassle to stop you from working out!
Why do you need to eat after a workout anyway?
Our body tries to rebuild the expended glycogen stores and repair the used-up muscle proteins during the exercises. Experts suggest having a healthy snack within 45 minutes after a workout.
Getting the correct nutrients soon after the workout will help the restoration process. We need healthy and enough intakes of proteins, carbohydrates and (you better believe) fats.
Of course, you can go for those by-the-street bread-filled junk stuff. But that would be quite unfair by your body! You wan’t to loose weight, not gain!
A Healthy Post Workout Meal?
So, let us see some HEALTHY options. These can provide you with enough protein, healthy carbs and fats. They are not difficult to prepare either.
A Banana Smoothie with a Piece of Turmeric
- This is a great option to neutralise the acidity build-up after an intense workout. Frozen bananas, berries, and a half-a-thumb sized piece of turmeric with water and agave will do the trick!
Cottage Cheese and Fruits
- This is for those cheese lovers out there! Cottage cheese is ample in Protein, and also quite rich in minerals and vitamins also. With a dash of berries, this can be your perfect easy post workout meal!
Egg Omelette with Avocado Spread on Toast
- Hail the eggies! When it comes to protein, nothing beats eggs on its ease to prepare (pun intended). Avocado will give you the healthy fat and toast will be the source of carbs. Bingo!
Whole Grain Toast and Almond Butter
- Almonds are a great source of protein and healthy fats. Whole grain toast will give you the required carbs. There you go! 5 minutes, and you have a tasty workout after-snack!
Peanut Butter and Banana on Rice Cakes
- Banana makes an ideal after-workout snack. It contains natural sugars and a plenty of minerals. Grab two rice cakes (healthy carbs). Spread half-a-tablespoon of peanut butter (healthy fat and protein) on each of them. Enjoy.
So, What to Chose?
Well, the truth is that there is no limit to the number of meals. You can create any dish with your creativity and experimentation. So, here are some healthy ingredients for you to mix n match.
Carbs: Rice (red rice better), whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, fruit, oats
Protein: Milk, cottage cheese, eggs, chicken, tuna, salmon, tofu, peanut butter
Fats: Avocado, coconut oil, nut butters, nuts
Finally, it all comes down to ‘what works best for you’ really…